Ile St. Louis near the mouth of the Senegal River, 1814
The city of Saint-Louis, also called Ndar in Wolof, is a regional capital in present-day Senegal. The French arrived in 1673 and named it after King Louis XIV. It was the capital of the French colony from 1673 until 1902. Between 1719 and 1743 ships from Brittany and from Bordeaux sailed to Saint-Louis to embark for Louisiana with captifs. The old quarter looks very much like New Orleans' French Quarter.